My first test with the Paper by FiftyThree app for iPad. From opening the app to sketched/painted in ~10 minutes using Cosmonaut stylus & Sensu brush.
First impressions of the app:
- The sketchbook metaphor is well executed. It’s easy to open, close, and add pages to each sketchbook.
- The “Undo” command is neat– you can “rewind through time” much like Braid– but I wish that there were more levels of history. Also, the gesture to activate it is a bit tricky without some practice.
- The art tray at the bottom of the screen is easy to access, but sometimes a little too easy. I couldn’t draw anything to close to the bottom or it would start pulling up the tray.
- Simplicity & brushes were very nice. It made it easy to get started. I’m hoping that future releases will include more colors and fine tuning of brushes.
- No layers? No zoom? I’m open to new approaches to solving these problems but for now line art + watercolor just isn’t working for me.
For now, I maintain that Autodesk Sketchbook Pro is the best iPad drawing app, but I’m very eager to see what happens with Paper in the future.